Commercial property is often called income or investment property, as it relates to land or buildings that are intended to generate a profit from capital gain or rental income.
As outlined in Wikipedia, commercial real estate is commonly divided into six categories:
1. Leisure – Such as hotels, public houses, restaurants, cafes, sports facilities
2. Retail – Such as retail stores, shopping mall, shops
3. Office – Such as office buildings or serviced offices
4. Industrial – Such as industrial property, office/warehouses, garages, distribution centers
5. Healthcare – Such as medical centers, hospitals, nursing homes
6. Multifamily (residential) – Such as multifamily housing buildings/multifamily apartments.
Of these, only the first five are classified as being commercial buildings.